Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Saving the Planet - is Eco-Fashion a thing now?

This morning the British Vogue Twitter account tweeted a link to possibly some of the most beautiful clothes I've seen in a long time. What was more captivating was the fact they were all from H+M as part of the Entitiled Conscious Exclusive collection, an extension of the Conscious Collection faced by Vanessa Paradis. This means everything was made from sustainable materials.

The short article got me thinking about fashion being friendly to the environment and I wondered
 - is eco-fashion a thing now?

H and M Conscious Exclusive Collection
Conscious Exclusive Collection - I am so in love with this dress it's almost painful


Short answer -  yes. In a few ways.

H+M themselves are producing these collections made from 100% recycled polyester, organic cotton (my brother is particularly happy about this)  and other niceties. They are also encouraging clothes recycling in their stores (which would have been fantastic had I known about it during my Pre-Spring Clean).

Years ago I bought an organic cotton top in New Look, but haven't seen that range in a long, long time which is a real shame as it was a great garment and I would love to be able to get more.

But then I started thinking (I was also working, I swear) about the retro and vintage trends. Sure new-vintage is there for all those a little put off by second-hand clothes but still want that retro-chic look. But it's not just the "economic climate" that's up sales in charity shops, it's trying to get the look. Vintage Levi's, silk komonos, oversized camo jackets, snap-back caps, faux-fur coats - they don't make them like that anymore. Tell your Dad not to through out at stone-washed denim shirt - he's the height of fashion for Spring! (Actually don't tell him anything, take the shirt and run!)

In Dublin especially over the last few years, it's not just hippies and hipsters flocking to Eager Beaver anymore. Second-hand vintage, consignment and swap shops are popping up faster than coffee shops at this rate. So yes, ecofriendly fashion is definitely here and looking at the A/W '13 catwalks it's very much here to stay.

In the meantime, the H+M Conscious Exclusive Collection lands in stores and online on April 4th (just in time for a post-pay-day splurge) Until then, for your own ecofriendly fix in Dublin I suggest you check out:

Siopaella (of course) for designer and vintage consignments,
Swapshop Temple Bar for trade-ins and quality second-hand shopping,
or in Galway (or on Facebook)
Cotton Face Vintage  (she ships!)

Do you buy vintage? Or do you like buying second hand?
Is sustainability something you look for in fashion?

Lisa

xXx
Post by: Lisa Dunn

2 comments:

  1. Love the new look on your blog and great post lovie! I do shop vintage but not really at the moment! Need to get back in to rummaging through shops again xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay thanks! I'm much happier with it now :)

      Yeah it's been a while since I got into a good vintage shop - need a vintage road trip around Ireland or something! ... and to win the lotto ...

      Delete